[Gena01 Logo]
March 28, 2024, 05:29:30 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Tags Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Win32Pad 1.4.3 Feedback  (Read 52207 times)
Gena01
Administrator

« on: October 13, 2003, 06:55:17 am »

Please report feedback on Win32Pad 1.4.3 in this thread.

Gena01
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2003, 07:38:03 am »

please add the unicode/utf-8 support, then it could fully replace the old notepad in windows~!
Gena01
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2003, 10:08:26 am »

Adding unicode/utf-8 support is not a minor change.  I do plan on adding that in some time in the future. But this will require many changes and lots of testing.

Gena01
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2003, 10:57:19 pm »

I still get the replace-function bug that's returning me "Search string not found!" message when the string is right there in front of my eyes.

Thanks.
laserlight

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2003, 12:16:10 am »

On win98 2nd edition:

The replace bug seemed fixed at first, but when Hugh reported it again I tested further:
1. Entered "abcdef", tried to replace "b" with "g"
Search string not found error returned.

2. Entered "abcdef", used Find for "b".
"b" highlighted.
Tried to replace "b" with "g", "b" is replaed by "g", but search string not found error reported nonetheless.

Replace all still works as expected.
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2003, 06:27:46 am »

Hello,
The linenumber bug is still present.

Thank you.

Found a bug
With very long lines, the line numbering count further.
Example

1 long line 1
2 long line 2
3 long line 3

After WordWrap on:
1 long
2 line 1
3 long
4 line 2
5 long
6 line 3

It should be:

1 long
line 1
2 long
line 2
3 long
line 3

Thank you!
Its a very good program!
Gena01
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2003, 07:10:00 am »

Quote (laserlight @ Oct. 15 2003,01:16)
On win98 2nd edition:

The replace bug seemed fixed at first, but when Hugh reported it again I tested further:
1. Entered "abcdef", tried to replace "b" with "g"
Search string not found error returned.

2. Entered "abcdef", used Find for "b".
"b" highlighted.
Tried to replace "b" with "g", "b" is replaed by "g", but search string not found error reported nonetheless.

Replace all still works as expected.

Ok, the way notepad does it (please tell me if it doesn't match). When you hit "Replace" it replaces the selected match, and does a search, if the search fails it says "Search string 'blah' not found".

Gena01
Gena01
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2003, 07:11:54 am »

Quote (Guest @ Oct. 15 2003,07:27)
Hello,
The linenumber bug is still present.

Thank you.

Found a bug
With very long lines, the line numbering count further.
Example

1 long line 1
2 long line 2
3 long line 3

After WordWrap on:
1 long
2 line 1
3 long
4 line 2
5 long
6 line 3

It should be:

1 long
line 1
2 long
line 2
3 long
line 3

Thank you!
Its a very good program!

I know about this, but it's not easy to fix, and I am not sure if I will fix it. The problem is that the way Rich Edit control numbers lines. If you have wordwrap on it renumbers the lines. I can still know/figure out where it wraps, but I have to go through the whole file and reindex the line numbers, this sounds like too much work.

Gena01
laserlight

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2003, 09:39:14 am »

Ok, the way notepad does it (please tell me if it doesn't match). When you hit "Replace" it replaces the selected match, and does a search, if the search fails it says "Search string 'blah' not found".

never used notepad for search and replace, so I dont know :O
therube

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2003, 05:56:25 pm »

Search & Replace bug seems to have to do with "case".

If "Match case" is NOT checked, when the search gets to a "reversed case" of the "Find what:" string, a "Search String Not Found!" dialog appears.

If "Match case" IS checked, the search only finds the case specific string, & replaces work properly.

1.aeiou
2.aeEiou
3.AAEeIOUe

A S&R on the aeiou's above, searching for 'e' (note lower case) & replacing with 'xxx', and "Match case" NOT checked, finds 1e, 2e, then it proceeds to 2E, and the "Search String Not Found!" appears.

You end up with the following at that point:

1.axxxiou
2.axxxEiou
3.AAEeIOUe

If you set the cursor position to 2i, you'll immediately fail again. Because the next match is at 3E.  If you set the cursor postion to 3e, it will replace that & then jump to the second 3e & replace that also.
mrtech

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2003, 09:56:45 am »

Just some more ideas/questions:

- While editing an html page with Win32Pad I notice that web addresses that where within tags (see example) don't get the context highlighting, only ones that are freestanding do
Code Sample
<a href="http://www.sofotex.com/MR-Tech-Systray-download_L14433.html">

- The above lead me to thinking how about adding context color highlight for different file formats, not sure how difficult this might be, but I've seen this in alot of RichEdit apps, just an idea.

Previously Reported Bugs:
On Windows XP the right-click menu on stand-alone URL's doesn't work correctly (I tested it on Windows NT box and it DOES work properly, though).

On Windows XP if you right-click on a url you get a menu that has Launch, Select and Copy.  It looks like the code used to select the url might be a little off, here's what happens:
1) Launch opens up Windows Explorer to the directory where the file is saved,
2) Select, selects from the end of the url to the end of the file and
3) Copy, selects from the end of the url to the end of the file and copies it to the clipboard.

Just some other idea's:
- configurable to allow single click of url's in files
- adding filetype association to the program, not the installer and adding more filetypes
- an entry in the File, Edit or View menu to clear MRU
- pressing escape to close About window

BTW, I have riched20.dll version 3.0 (file version 5.30.23.1211) installed.
Gena01
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2003, 02:58:54 pm »

>- While editing an html page with Win32Pad I notice that web >addresses that where within tags (see example) don't get the >context highlighting, only ones that are freestanding do
Code Sample
<a href="http://www.sofotex.com/MR-Tech-Systray-download_L14433.html">

>- The above lead me to thinking how about adding context >color highlight for different file formats, not sure how difficult >this might be, but I've seen this in alot of RichEdit apps, just >an idea.

That could be added, but it's not a minor change. It is something that I have been thinking about. The biggest worry for me is the performance, esp for large files, since most of the
code i've seen parses the whole file when highlighting.

>Previously Reported Bugs:
>On Windows XP the right-click menu on stand-alone URL's >doesn't work correctly (I tested it on Windows NT box and it >DOES work properly, though).

What do you mean correctly and not correctly? I don't have access to an XP box, I have win2k at work and at home, and Win98.

>On Windows XP if you right-click on a url you get a menu that >has Launch, Select and Copy.  It looks like the code used to >select the url might be a little off, here's what happens:
>1) Launch opens up Windows Explorer to the directory where the file is saved,
>2) Select, selects from the end of the url to the end of the file and
>3) Copy, selects from the end of the url to the end of the file and copies it to the clipboard.

This is the intended behavior for URLs.

>Just some other idea's:
>- configurable to allow single click of url's in files

Ok, this one is pretty easy to add.

>- adding filetype association to the program, not the installer and adding more filetypes

Hmm... can you post a starting/suggested file type list?

>- an entry in the File, Edit or View menu to clear MRU

I'll think about this one. It should be possible, if you disable and re-enable MRU.

>- pressing escape to close About window

I have to see if this is possible.

>BTW, I have riched20.dll version 3.0 (file version 5.30.23.1211) installed.

P.S. I am still trying to fix the bugs first, before introducing new features/bugs. I have also found and working on a fix for the Search/Replace. It only works with "Match case" in 1.4.3.

Gena01
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2003, 08:25:23 pm »

Gena01, I checked out how notepad's search/replace works. After a consideration, I realized that it would in fact be more useful to search/replace only within a selected block of text. God knows how many times when I'm coding I've had to select and copy a text-block into a new window just to replace strings within that particular block.

I guess it's just not a very intuitive* way to handle it from the viewpoint of a first-time user -- or like me, who jumped directly from a 1.3.? build to 1.4.1 and found that the replace operation no longer worked. Before executing the replace routine couldn't you possibly check whether a text selection has been made and if not, either:

a. run the routine on the entire text in the window or
b. prompt the user to select the text first

*As proof of this, none of the posters were able to figure it out themselves until you mentioned it earlier. It was just assumed that there was a bug.
mrtech

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2003, 09:28:35 am »

I can see the parsing getting very hairy and adding a lot of bloat, just figured I'd try Wink

>>On Windows XP the right-click menu on stand-alone URL's
On XP it is not working correctly.  each feature below does not work as expected.
- Launch doesn't launch Internet Explorer but launches the Desktop in Windows Explorer like if you were opening a folder not a website, I think this is because it's not captureing the url properly as described in the next two examples.
- Select doesn't select/highlight the url, but selects the text after the url to the end of the file.
- And the same for copy, it select the text right after the url to the end of the file and copies that to the clipboard

For example:
Code Sample
http://www.mrtech.com/ is a good site,
and Win32Pad rocks as an editor.

- Right-clicking the url and choosing Launch opens the Desktop.
- Right-clicking the url and choosing Select would select:
Code Sample
is a good site,
- Right-clicking the url and choosing Copy would select and copy:
Code Sample
is a good site,

>>- adding filetype association to the program
Common filetypes would be:
- txt, log, ini, reg, bat
- html, js, css
- asp, apsx, php, cgi, pl, jsp

Each could be selectable and or configurable, basically a list that can be added to and then check or uncheck from within the program not the installer.

>>- an entry in the File, Edit or View menu to clear MRU
Disabling and re-enabling requires that you close the current window to clear the MRU.

Thanks again for a great program!!!
Tags:
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: