[Gena01 Logo]
March 28, 2024, 05:08:41 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Tags Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Win32Pad 1.5.5 Feedback  (Read 57650 times)
therube

« on: September 08, 2004, 09:59:45 am »

Suggestion:

Shift-F3 = Find Previous
Alex Bischoff

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2004, 12:01:51 pm »

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the "Smart Home" feature, but it doesn't seem to be working for me (Tools -> Options -> Editor -> [X] Smart Home).

If I have several lines of text -- each of which is indented with a tab -- and I hit "Home" within one of those lines, that should take me to the beginning of the text on that line, just after the tab? I turned on "Smart Home" and tried to trigger that behavior, but I couldn't get it to work :(.

Alex Bischoff
therube

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2004, 07:04:45 am »

I believe it is a Home-Home key combo you're looking for.
Alex Bischoff

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2004, 04:50:09 pm »

Quote (therube @ Sep. 09 2004,07:04)
I believe it is a Home-Home key combo you're looking for.

Ohh, ok :). In the editor I'm currently using (Metapad), its smart-home behavior is just the opposite: "Home" takes the cursor to the beginning of the text on the line while "Home-Home" takes the cursor to the very beginning of the line.

I don't suppose there're any plans to have just Home move the cursor to the beginning of the text on the line? It's not often that I want to get to the beginning of the line, but I frequently move to the beginning of the text on the line.

Alex Bischoff
Robert

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2004, 06:55:04 am »

Hi Genadi,

I like the new features you added to win32pad!  Keep it up.

I do agree with Alex though on the "smart-home" behaviour.
The first KeyPress for "Home" should take you to the beginning of the text on the current line.
If you press it a second time it should take you to the beginning of the line.
It would seem to me that if it behaved like that it would be a lot more intuitive to use.

I believe I have also requested the Shift-F3 suggestion (made by TheRube) a long time ago,
and I hope you can add it to win32pad's features list very soon!

--------
Robert
Robert

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2004, 06:57:43 am »

Oops, I forgot to ask....

could the line deleted by Ctrl-Y be copied into the paste buffer?
This might be very useful when moving lines.

Thanks
Robert
Gena01
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2004, 10:12:46 am »

Quote (Robert @ Sep. 14 2004,07:57)

Thanks
Robert

mm.. as in "cut line" ?

Gena01
Gena01
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2004, 10:14:12 am »

Quote (Robert @ Sep. 14 2004,07:57)

Thanks
Robert

Yeah, i have a rather big TODO list. But I thought it would be nice to release something that already works before doing any more changes. I have been messing with some new features and will try to clean them up and add them slowly to win32pad...

so stay tuned.

Gena01
Robert

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2004, 03:56:21 am »

mm.. as in "cut line" ?

That's what I mean alright.

I appreciate your long list being thoroughly tested before being released into win32pad.
(Just as long as win32pad does not grow into word32pad :laugh:)

Thanks Genadi,
I will stay stuned!
Robert
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2004, 08:46:13 am »

well, i havent tested 1.5.5 version yet, but this problem was in previous versions.. I cant search for text using my native (russian) language, win32pad searches only latin strings. My system: win2000 sp3, Russian region selected.
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2004, 11:49:05 pm »

win32pad is the best :) But i would like some improved support on large files. I've did some test with 4MB files (some logs from trillian, text file and html links inside), and while win32pad usually crashes or open the files in 10-15 minutes, metapad (LE version) does it instantly (the extended version works about the same as win32pad, but never crashes). The same goes for Textpad, loads them ok.
So, can you do something about this ? Thank you in advance. And keep up the good work !
therube

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2004, 01:32:50 am »

What OS & type of system configuration are you running?

I'm running XP, Athlon XP2600+, 512MB ram.
Opening a 4MB file opens in a matter of a few seconds?

What operations are you doing when it crashes.
I would suspect that a search&replace would be time consuming.
S&R replacing e with xxx (58312 changes) took just a few seconds using VIM.  Using Win32pad, it's taking ... well, many minutes (& I have yet to see it finish).  Many, many, many minutes - about 20? - though it did finish.
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2004, 07:45:27 am »

I think Gena is not a hardcore programmer but an intermedite who's having fun playing with a few little not too complex programs he started.

Since there is more and more request, a long time bug list, etc it maybe a good idea for him to approach another program seeking for some help or think about going open source.

Those few last message about slow for S&R, opening some files, etc could be sorted out in a matter of time.

Also, going ether way he would learn a lot for himself..

His name will always be a part of the program, being the creator, initiator of that project so no fear there.

What you all think?  With a little luck, if he agree there may be just enough time to get WordPad 2.0.0 (all bug sorted out with some bugless new features) for the new year!
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2004, 09:32:45 am »

A feature I miss from my old notepad replacement program (don't even remember what the name was off hand) was that it had an option that when you saved the file, it would go through and remove any trailing spaces off all of the lines.  It's a small thing, but it bugs me when I have lines that are composed of nothing but tabs.

Just to clarify, I'd like to see trailing spaces removed off of lines that have text, and blank lines are kept, just without the tabs or spaces.
therube

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2004, 09:31:46 pm »

I was not complaining about the slow s&r, just trying to figure out why MonkY was having problems.

I would not expect win32pad to be very efficient when doing certain tasks.  It is more (in my mind) using the right tool for the job.

And for the majority of my editing jobs, you just can't beat win32pad.  I look at it as a nice, clean, easy to use application.  Some might want to add all types of new functions & features to it, but for what I do, the way it is now (& the way it has been), it covers 99% of what I need.
Tags:
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: