[Gena01 Logo]
March 29, 2024, 06:25:01 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Tags Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: WebMaster advise(s)  (Read 45582 times)
Gena01
Administrator

« on: September 27, 2007, 09:44:21 pm »

I was thinking of how to start off things and it seemed like a great idea to start with the basics. I am a huge follower of the K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid) principle. So we'll start really simple. I know that some people want to do things and to learn new technologies. One of my own quotes is "the more I read and learn the more I understand that I don't know anything". There is a ton of knowledge and technologies out there. I will try to post relevant links/slides/articles/videos on my blog. However before we jump in and start our journey there's one basic question that needs to be answered.

"What problem are you trying to solve?" (c) Dmitry - our sysadmin from work. Before jumping into something exciting or new make sure that there's a good reason behind it. Don't do something just because it's cool. I had some webmasters ask me of what I would recommend. Some of the first questions I ask them are: "What are you goals? What do you want to achieve? What points are you trying to make?"

Let me try to answer some of my points. I work with technology for many years. It first started out as a hobby that turned to a professional thing. I was always curious about software and technologies that get the job done.  Things that I always tried to do was to find something that will get me to my destination with the simplest and easiest solution I could find.

Because I try to read up on things that are going on around technologies and software I tend to run into interesting stuff. As a side note: I am sure that there's a ton of stuff out there that I never heard off, but if it's interesting and somebody mentions something about it I might find out about it.. eventually. Anyway some of my co-workers and friends who like to hear my little ramblings and stories about something I read asked me why don't I make those available online and share with others. I am sure that if it's interesting to me, somebody might find it interesting as well.

I know some people are interested in new things they hear like: php, ruby, python, etc... My usual stance on this is try and see if you can find a project that will solve your problems or help you reach your goals. There's a ton of open source projects out there with their own communities of people. Do a bit of reading, see what the project is all about, ask some of your friends. Try to find some sites that use them see how they like it. There is a ton of open source projects written in PHP. It might be a good way to start getting acquainted with the technology for the curious ones. There are applications out there that will have you up and running in a matter of minutes, or within an hour. Some even offer customizations, tweaks, administration web-interfaces and plugins. There's really no point just jumping into PHP and doing things from scratch. Another great point with joining a selected project community is that users share great tips about software. There's also usually a team of developers that is working on the updates. This makes you concentrate on other more important stuff than coding. It's also something that allows you to share ideas and code with others who are in the same boat as you.

Anyway i'll stop ranting now and will start posting some of the cool technologies for you to look at.

Gena01
Tags:
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: