[Gena01 Logo]
March 29, 2024, 06:41:29 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Tags Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: NotePad Replacement  (Read 40896 times)
pflowers

« on: September 01, 2003, 10:17:46 pm »

I want to actually replace the windows notepad with Win32Pad. How do I do this? I am using Windows XP Pro.
Gena01
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2003, 01:01:54 pm »

I do not recomment actually replacing notepad with win32pad. There are still a few small features that are missing from Win32Pad that notepad has. At least the ones I know about. For the most part you should be able to use the associations and Win32Pad setup file actually creates a shortcut, so that you could send any file into "SendTo"->Win32pad from windows explorer.

Can somebody actually check and let me know if notepad has changed in functionality since Win2k?
pflowers

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2003, 03:26:43 pm »

I can't find any advantage to the windows notepad. So I have experimented and used Win32Pad as a replacement. Heres how:   Copy Win32Pad.exe to a temporary location and rename it notepad.exe. Copy this renamed file to the following folders: windows,  windows/system32,  windows/system32/dllcache.  This will replace all of the windows notepad copies. To get to the dllcache folder you must go to "folder options" and under the "view" tab - uncheck "hide protected operating system files". This will allow you to view the dllcache folder. When you replace the notepad.exe in this folder you will get warnings about the repacement. Ignore them and just do it. I would suggest that after finishing this replacement that you go back and recheck "hide protected operating system files".
Gena01
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2003, 03:53:49 pm »

You do understand that what you are doing, you are doing under your own risk? Also win32pad will NOT open Unicode files, as reported in 1.4.0 feedback thread.  So you might not be able to edit some files properly!

Gena01
Robert

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2003, 03:43:11 am »

Hi all,

Me and my colleague have used the method described by pflowers since Fred Flintstone (version 1.Huh) and never encountered any problems. I must say that we are in Europe, and we do not use any languages that require Unicode characters. Also we do not copy "win32pad.exe" into all the directories listen by pflowers, but only to the directory required by the current Operatin System (so for NT4 we only place win32pad in windows/system32)

It might be a good suggestion though to not copy "win32pad.exe" over your original "notepad.exe", but keep a backup by renaming "notepad.exe" to (let's say) "nonepad.exe" or so

Good Luck
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2003, 09:41:11 am »

Hi,

If you change Notepad by Win32pad, at least, you cannot access .reg file on win2000/xp system :-(

So i think also that you should let notepad in place, and use win32pad a an (excellent ;-) ) add-on.
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2003, 09:34:13 pm »

I am a Chinese. Win32Pad 1.4.4 can handle Chinese characters properly in most cases, except block indenting or block unindenting.
So I would also like to have Win32Pad replace the NotePad. If i were to edit Reg files, i can use another Unicode Enabled editor.
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2003, 09:19:58 am »

For over 2 years, I have replaced notepad with win32pad in Windows 2000 and now in Windows XP Pro. I have never run into any problems.

When I have a .reg file, right-click and select "edit", and it will launch win32pad and allow you to edit the file without a hitch. I don't know why sibsib says it doesn't work.

A side note...if you try to replace notepad in win xp, and you have the windows xp cd in your tray, you won't be able to do it. Take the cd out or windows will keep restoring notepad from the cd.
Tags:
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: