[Gena01 Logo]
March 28, 2024, 07:49:43 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Tags Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Win32Pad 1.3.3 Feedback  (Read 114998 times)
Gena01
Administrator

« on: August 03, 2003, 09:27:17 pm »

Please report feedback on Win32Pad 1.3.3 in this thread.

Gena01
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2003, 12:36:22 pm »

Hi

I know that this application has been designed to be a replacement for the Notepad, but still I dislike that F5 has not been assigned to "Reload file...". Somehow I think that this will not be changed 8-)

To me it is just a normal way to refresh contents, just like in Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer, but now I end up with bunch of date stamps. Which by the way do NOT honour the regional settings of Windows.

Also some of the menuitems might need a little tuning. The ellipses are heavily used on items that do not require additional input from the user (New, About, Preferences,Properties, File Format, ...) and they are missing from some where they should be used (Open, Find, ...) Also some items are in quite unfamiliar places (Properties, Insert, Search, ...)

If you like to know more about those I suggest you browse thru "The Microsoft Windows User Experience : Official Guidelines for User Interface Developers and Designers" which is available as a book or from MSDN. It is a bit old, but there are a lot of good examples how and why things should be done or what to avoid.

Please don't take this as a rant, your application is already very nice and useful. Thank you for releasing it as a freeware application.

Keep up the good work,

Mig
therube

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2003, 02:34:17 pm »

MRU not working properly.

Not storing paths, so when attempting to open file, reports "Can't open file".
therube

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2003, 02:44:26 pm »

Mikael, in reference to F5 ...

In notepad F5 does not refresh, it prints the date/time.
Gena01
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2003, 02:46:26 pm »

Quote (therube @ Aug. 05 2003,15:34)
MRU not working properly.

Not storing paths, so when attempting to open file, reports "Can't open file".

is this specific to 1.3.3? is it the same in 1.3.2?

Gena01
therube

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2003, 10:59:50 pm »

1.3.2 worked properly.

1.3.3 only stores the 'basename'.  (Well actually basename.ext).  Also, on a network file \\compture2\filename.txt, the full path is stored.

BTW, I do appreciate the expanded MRU list (even if it isn't currently working correctly).

Hmmm.   This was on Win98 where I noticed the MRU problem.

It does not seem to be a problem on Win2K.
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2003, 02:02:12 am »

Just discovered your program. I love it! Especially the support for UNIX and Mac files. Thanks!
therube

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2003, 10:22:21 am »

Forget what I said about MRU.

It IS working properly.

I tried it on another computer running Win98 & could not duplicate the problem.

Turns out that the particular files that did not have the full pathname included, I had opened through a Norton Commander style program (Servant Salamander).  In that program I had set win32pad as my default editor.  Turns out that it was only passing the filename as a paramater to win32pad.  I changed it to pass the "fullname" & now all is well.

BTW, Servant Salamander, as is win32pad, is an EXCELLENT program (shareware).  For anyone who wants to check it out.  (Hope you don't mind the plug).

http://www.altap.cz/salam_en/index.html
therube

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2003, 01:20:29 pm »

Question on dialog box ...

"Can't open file for writing!

The process cannot access the file because
it is being used by another process"

Now I know what is causing it.  Just wondering if that is something new, or is it that I've just never run across it before.

Cause if it's new, for me at least, it's not really a desirable feature.

Reason:  Many times I may have a file open, generally in a Dos program like List.com or Browse.com, or various file comparison utilities.  Those utilities are generally always "read-only".  At the same time, I am likely to have the same file opened in win32pad, making changes over time & then re-running the comparison.

Ok, looks like I just haven't run into it before.  If I use VIM (editor) or Visual Compare, it works as I wish.  If I use List, Browse, or Delta (another visual comparison tool), I get the message.  Now that I understand it more clearly, I can live with it.
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2003, 05:43:54 am »

Couldn't you disable or make an option for disabling smooth scroll - i don't like this?
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2003, 08:46:55 pm »

"Ver 1.3.3 crashed on Windows 2000?"

Hi!

This is a good and small editor.
However, as I upgrade it from 1.0.2
(really old)to 1.3.3(the newest),
it crashes while typing a letter
in Chinese(happened twice).
Is this a known problem?

The OS is Windows 2000 SP4 for
Traditional Chinese. Riched20.dll
has been upgraded to Ver3.0.

Thank you very much.

best regards,
    Boris
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2003, 03:19:04 am »

Hi!
This is nice lightweight editor.
The bug:
if replace some selection by tab...
System: WinNT 4.0 SP6a.

Best regards
Igor
Gena01
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2003, 07:53:31 am »

Quote (Guest @ Aug. 12 2003,04:19)
Hi!
This is nice lightweight editor.
The bug:
if replace some selection by tab...
System: WinNT 4.0 SP6a.

Best regards
Igor

Please explain.

One of the features of Win32PAD is to use TAB to indent blocks of code.

Gena01
Gena01
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2003, 10:23:15 am »

Quote (Guest @ Aug. 05 2003,13:36)
[clipped]
Also some of the menuitems might need a little tuning. The ellipses are heavily used on items that do not require additional input from the user (New, About, Preferences,Properties, File Format, ...) and they are missing from some where they should be used (Open, Find, ...) Also some items are in quite unfamiliar places (Properties, Insert, Search, ...)

If you like to know more about those I suggest you browse thru "The Microsoft Windows User Experience : Official Guidelines for User Interface Developers and Designers" which is available as a book or from MSDN. It is a bit old, but there are a lot of good examples how and why things should be done or what to avoid.

[clipped]

Thanks for the info, I did take a look and will cleanup the menus a bit.

Gena01

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2003, 10:34:24 am »

About above-mentioned TAB.

It's naturally to indent the multiline block by TAB. But if this feature work when selected the part of one line, especially middle one? And as result, the selection is enlarged to all line with indention. This behaviour looks highly strange for me.
Maybe I am wrong?

In the rest, I shall repeat, I like this Pad. For example, such at first sight an insignificant thing, as length of the selected block...

Best regards
Igor
Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: