[Gena01 Logo]
March 28, 2024, 07:15:21 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Tags Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Selecting text, and end of line character.  (Read 35218 times)
jonnyo

« on: January 14, 2005, 05:04:21 pm »

Hi,

Thanks for this great editor.

Two things I have noticed:

It is very difficult to select text off-screen to the right by holding down the left mouse button and dragging the mouse to the right edge of the window.  It jerks and stutters a lot while trying to move the window to the left to allow the text to be selected.  In Notepad, it is easy.

It is also a bit difficult to select text without automatically getting the end of line character along with it.

This is on Windows 2000.  My version of riched20.dll is 5.30.23.1215.

Regards,
Jonny
therube

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2005, 11:49:10 pm »

difficult to select text off-screen to the right by holding down the left mouse button and dragging the mouse

You're right.  I am noticing that on WinXP.  Rarely use Win32pad & XP.  Not sure that I recall seeing this on Win98.  I'll try to look Monday.

A few things.

Temporarily turn on Word Wrap (Ctrl-W).  That way you can select whatever you like while the full line remains visible.

If you wanted to select the entire line, you could left click in that little bit of a margin just to the left of the first character.  (Easier to do if you have 'Margin' selected under the 'View' menu item.)

Also, if you are not adverse to using the keyboard, set the cursor to the start position of the text you want, then hold the Shift key down, & move the arrow key to select subsequent characters (or Ctrl-arrow to select subsequent words, or the End key to select the remainder of the line.)
jonnyo

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2005, 02:00:50 pm »

Thanks for your reply.

If you wanted to select the entire line, you could left click in that little bit of a margin just to the left of the first character

Yes, but I wouldn't expect to get the newline character selected at the end of the line when I do this.  I've just become so used to the standard way of selecting an entire line, where the newline character is not included in the selection.

I have been working round this by doing a Shift+End followed by a Shift+Left, which can become a bit annoying after a while.

Thanks again,
Jonny
therube

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2005, 12:29:27 pm »

Not sure that I recall seeing this on Win98.  I'll try to look Monday.

Tuesday.  Yes, the same situation occurs with Win98.
Tags:
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: