[Gena01 Logo]
March 28, 2024, 12:07:02 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Tags Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Win32Pad 1.5.1 Feedback  (Read 49670 times)
Gena01
Administrator

« on: June 06, 2004, 09:56:34 pm »

Please report feedback on Win32Pad 1.5.1 in this thread.

Gena01
henrik

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2004, 06:20:14 am »

It is nice to have the new filter function!! But I would really like if it was possible to change the list one self. That is, I myself do not use e.g. perl files, but sometimes I use ebs files. Then I would like to remove some of the filters and add others.

Cheers,
Henrik
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2004, 01:35:27 pm »

great :°D..
 but don't fix terminal font view

»»» please i need for view the .nfo :°
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2004, 12:55:38 am »

Hi,
Seems like a nice editor :)  Would however like to point out that 2 features that could complete this as far as I like are:

1) An option to select a column -> MS word has it and so does editors like Xint and Notepad2.  Would be nice if it could like Word have an option where when the user presses Alt and scrolls down with the mouse or down arrow key, the column is selected.  This column could then be deleted or copied.  (This however I presume would be sensible when the font used is of fixed width).

2) In the "Find/ Search" option, a feature that would highlight all found instances in a colour of choice.  This would help the user visualize all instances of the word that is looked for and thereby help to scroll faster to these items using the keyboard or mouse.  Also, if the status bar could mention the no. of words found, it would be nice too!

Ok... I did mention that 2 things would make this editor complete for me, but then, the point below would be sort of a bonus  :D

Would be good if 2 fonts could be defined and the user could switch between defined fonts.  If this happens, the user could switch quickly between a fixed font and otherwise Wink (forgot what the other is called).  Alternatively if the Font and Font size could be put onto the tool bar, maybe the user could quickly select all and change font and size.

An option to highlight the current row in a user defined colour.

An option to increase / decrease by % at time of print.

Will think up more soon

Cheers
therube

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2004, 10:28:29 am »

First let me say that I rarely create a new file - almost exclusively edit existing files.  And what I state below really does not affect me at all, though I'll just throw some points out.

Actually, let me say the way I think things should work.  If you don't give an extension with a open or save, or you don't select a 'file type field', then the file name should remain as it existed, or should be named with the given extension - none should be added as default.  IE:  the default file type should be *.*.  If I want to save as a different type, I can type the extension in.  Or if I want to use the file type selection box, then I can do that also & it should then use that.

I understand the use of Open dialog file types - to filter the types of files listing in the open dialog box.

Not sure I understand the use file types with the Save As dialog?  Again maybe to filter the files listed?  I gather the file extension used is going to be the first extension listed in each field?  So if you create a new file, the Save will default to a .TXT extension.  And if you wanted to save it as a .INI, you would have to manually type that in on the file_name line?

If you edit a file, 'readme.ini', a Save As will default to creating a file 'readme.txt'?  Could have sworn I saw that happen, yet now I can't get it to do it?  It is now defaulting to 'readme.ini' ...  If I selected another Save As filter, say .HTM, should it then save the file as 'readme.htm'?  I would have expected it to, though it does not.  It still says that the file 'readme.ini' already exists.

Another thing & I don't know if it is a bug or just the way it is (& this also occured in 1.5.0), but if you open a file with multiple 'dots' in the name, like: 'file.name.TXT', when you do a Save As, the default name is 'file' rather then 'file.name'.

Create a new file, (no name as of yet), Save, select *.*, give it a name 'readme', returns error:  Can't open file for writing! The system cannot find the file specified.  I would have expected it to save the file as 'readme' with no extension.

A subsequent save attempt results in a file type of *.*, and filename of 'readme.*'.  The save dialog box, then does nothing & has to be escaped out of.
therube

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2004, 11:08:03 am »

Question.  What you are calling "Selection bar" is the same the "Margin" on the View tab?

Cool, never even knew that it existed before.
Gena01
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2004, 12:19:56 pm »

Quote (therube @ June 08 2004,12:08)
Question.  What you are calling "Selection bar" is the same the "Margin" on the View tab?

Cool, never even knew that it existed before.

Yes. Margin is a better name for it.

Gena01
Gena01
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2004, 12:25:23 pm »

Quote (therube @ June 08 2004,11:28)
First let me say that I rarely create a new file - almost exclusively edit existing files.  And what I state below really does not affect me at all, though I'll just throw some points out.

Actually, let me say the way I think things should work.  If you don't give an extension with a open or save, or you don't select a 'file type field', then the file name should remain as it existed, or should be named with the given extension - none should be added as default.  IE:  the default file type should be *.*.  If I want to save as a different type, I can type the extension in.  Or if I want to use the file type selection box, then I can do that also & it should then use that.

I understand the use of Open dialog file types - to filter the types of files listing in the open dialog box.

Not sure I understand the use file types with the Save As dialog?  Again maybe to filter the files listed?  I gather the file extension used is going to be the first extension listed in each field?  So if you create a new file, the Save will default to a .TXT extension.  And if you wanted to save it as a .INI, you would have to manually type that in on the file_name line?

If you edit a file, 'readme.ini', a Save As will default to creating a file 'readme.txt'?  Could have sworn I saw that happen, yet now I can't get it to do it?  It is now defaulting to 'readme.ini' ...  If I selected another Save As filter, say .HTM, should it then save the file as 'readme.htm'?  I would have expected it to, though it does not.  It still says that the file 'readme.ini' already exists.

Another thing & I don't know if it is a bug or just the way it is (& this also occured in 1.5.0), but if you open a file with multiple 'dots' in the name, like: 'file.name.TXT', when you do a Save As, the default name is 'file' rather then 'file.name'.

Create a new file, (no name as of yet), Save, select *.*, give it a name 'readme', returns error:  Can't open file for writing! The system cannot find the file specified.  I would have expected it to save the file as 'readme' with no extension.

A subsequent save attempt results in a file type of *.*, and filename of 'readme.*'.  The save dialog box, then does nothing & has to be escaped out of.

Thank you for the bug report. I'll spend some time testing/fixing this. Should work better in the next release.

Gena01
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2004, 09:51:27 am »

Thanks for releasing 1.5.1. This has been my favorite text editor for a long time. However, with recent versions I did not like the fact that text was copied as formatted. I am glad to see this is now fixed in 1.5.1.

This is software I use everyday and recommend to all my friends. Keep up the good work.

-c
laserlight

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2004, 10:07:57 am »

hmm... very minor inconsistency:

Generally, the menu options have an underlined character denoting that pressing the relevant key would select that option.

e.g. when "Tools" is in focus, pressing "o" will bring up the Options menu interface.

However, under "File", both "File Format" and its child options do not have such a feature.
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2004, 11:34:21 am »

I'm using an ancient version - it has no file filters and doesn't add any file extensions. Thus you can see all files by default, and it saves the file precisely as named. A lot less messing about.

So, alas, until that behaviour is reinstated or can be mimiced, I'll be sticking with it.
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2004, 04:41:37 pm »

I think it would be good to add unicode support (ucs-2 and utf-8)
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2004, 03:28:28 am »

Why did you change the shortcut keys??

Ctrl+R to reload, with a confirmation box? What was wrong with F4?
Tags:
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: