[Gena01 Logo]
March 19, 2024, 09:02:45 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Tags Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: CTRL-Y back to Redo mode  (Read 56988 times)
smu johnson

« on: March 01, 2010, 09:07:24 pm »

Hi,

Great editor!  I finally find a decent small .exe editor that is far better than notepad.  I do have one suggestion though.  For a lot of people around work who now use it as I made it their default editor, I am finding a lot of complaints about the CTRL-Y functionality being used to delete a line.  I think CTRL-U would be a better choice, as this is closer to most readline() unix shell behaviours.  But the reason myself and they have a few concerns is because they were so used to CTRL-Y being Redo.

Since this is your text editor you probably don't feel like making this change, otherwise it would have been done in the first place... I don't know.

If you don't really want to change it, is there a way win32pad could make this change based on the .ini file that I will keep alongside the .EXE?

Any hints greatly appreciated.  Keep up the good work!
victoria

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 08:40:19 pm »

That's great!  Wink

Based on an essay (http://www.superiorpapers.com/assignments.php), whatever begins, also ends.
Robert

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 05:51:38 pm »

@smu johnson:

I don't see how you could object to CTRL-Y as a means to delete the current line and add it to the Paste buffer.
There are a lot of editors around (in the Microsoft environment, even from the MS/DOS era) that use this hotkey.
I think it has been around since Side-Kick or so, and it has been until Visual Studio 6 (and beyond...)

I would probably agree with you if we were in a Unix/Linux environment, but win32pad is a notepad replacement,
and therefore meant to do its duties in the Microsoft world...

However, I will try to make you feel better:
When you are used to using vi, think that Y (or yy) will yank your line into the paste buffer
(as will the dd command which will delete the current line, see, its not such strange behaviour after all  Wink)
Tags:
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: