[Gena01 Logo]
March 19, 2024, 02:29:40 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Win32Pad v2.x  (Read 208248 times)
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2002, 02:40:10 pm »

Great work, it certainly beats notepad by many lengths.

Working as a programmer in C++ and HTML, and work with a lot of files. Therefore my wishes :

1. Able to see line numbers in a column to the left.

2. Able to have several files open in the same instance of Win32Pad (Like in MultiEdit/UltraEdit or like Opera way of showing web-pages using tabs/fans)

3. Able to redefine hotkeys (This will stop any arguements about people wanting one or another key for a certain function)

4. Search and Replace on directory basis (Making it possible to search for files using wildcards to find a certain text-string) Though it requires a way listing of the found files and the lines which contains the certain text-string.

5. Syntax coloring, making it possible to define own syntax coloring and attach it to file-extension (I can see you can identify tokens like http, mailto etc.). Making a generic tokening which one can supply ones own text-file containing tokens to highlight blue. (A later extension would be to supply different types of tokens which gets different colors)
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2002, 02:46:18 pm »

Quote (Guest @ July 25 2002,02:54)
Is there a way to restore the default Notepad Icon?  I seem to like it better.  BTW, great program.
Keep it small and keep it simple.

1. Double click "My Computer"
2. Select "Tools" in menu
3. Select "Folder Options..."
4. Select fan "File Types"
5. Find and select the filetype you want a new icon for
6. Press Advanced-button
7. Change Icon
8. Either use shell32.dll or notepad.exe as the file containing the icon.
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2002, 01:29:03 pm »

Although I like Ultraedit, I feel it's too bloated,  and started hunting for a light weight editor, yet satisfy my basic editing needs.

When saw the setup file size, was not really convinced the editor could be so small. Was under the impression that it was some fancy setup file where you pull the rest of the package via the Internet (aka Net installation like IE / Netscape ) ;)

But when installed, really surprised me as it contained most of the features I need, yet so small. Keep up the good work! :)

Just a few request that I hope you would consider in the next version.

1. Line numbers at the left side, toggle-able with a button on top.

2. Bottom taskbar shows if CAPlock and Numlock is on / off

3. Rename "Format" as "File format", it should be clearer.
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2002, 11:04:07 pm »

like everyone else, i think this is a nice small editor.  great job.  

one idea though is that if you do want to get into a feature rich version or even just one with a few more features, maybe make a basic version, like the 1.x and make plug-ins available.  so if i want highlighting for your programmingyou can get that, but at the same time not have to download all the extra buttons and stuff everyone wants.  i mean i realize this would be a bigger pain in the butt than just making a big version with everything, but if you came up with some sort of basic language ( i only do php and web programming stuff, i dont know if this is like an insane task) but if you made some sort of basic language to add on features, i'm sure everyone on this board would make their own add on, and then you can add on whatever features you want, and have either a huge bloated feature rich editor, one with only what you need, or even just the barebones one, you got your choice.  

again, sorry if i sound ignorant, i haven't gotten into c because i haven't really had the interest in it yet, so i dont know if this is asking for too much meaning it wouldn't be free or whatever, but it would be a nice idea instead of bloating the program with stuff only a few people really want/need.
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2002, 12:13:52 am »

I would like you to keep it as small as it is, or i could just as well use word for editing. The only thing I would like to change is the ability to display line numbers starting from 0. Most script debuggers see the first line as 0.

practical case - I develop a web page with client side scripting. It pops an error and says the error is in line 55. I right-click and view source in win32pad. However, going to line 55 is incorrect. If line counting started at 0 it would be correct.

So basicaly a base option for line nubers would be invaluable, so you can get the most of win32pad, depending on what you use it for.

Thanks for saving me a lot of work. Normaly I had to copy the text from notepad and insert it into another editor to be able to go to a linenumber to do debugging.
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2002, 09:50:32 am »

Thanks for develop this program, currently it replaced
all the notepad program in windows I used, no matter
in company or home use, I like it very much and I've
been tried to translate the menu and message into
traditional chinese on ver 1.0.144, 1.12 & 1.14,
my wish to add a new feature for Hex editing,
it'll increase the editing ability for other file type
except pure text file, and no more needed to
use Ultraedit for the only choice.

Sincerely,
romdemon. :)
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2002, 12:24:26 pm »

I want to use Win32pad as my default text editor.

Should I try renaming Win32pad.exe to Notepad.exe and overwriting Notepad in c:\Windows?

And thanks for the great software!

PS. My wish: syntax highgliting for 2.0.
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2002, 02:31:41 pm »

It would be nice if we could change the color used for URL highlighting. Otherwise, it limits the background colors which can be used.
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2002, 09:19:43 am »

Quote (Guest @ Aug. 28 2002,13:24)
I want to use Win32pad as my default text editor.

Should I try renaming Win32pad.exe to Notepad.exe and overwriting Notepad in c:\Windows?

And thanks for the great software!

PS. My wish: syntax highgliting for 2.0.

My experiment with renaming Win32pad.exe to Notepad.exe and overwriting Notepad.exe in c:\windows\ didn't work. When I tried rigth-click/print on .txt file I got error:

"Can't open file "/p C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\File Sharing.TXT"!"

So, to be "literal" notepad replacement Win32pad should support /p (print) switch, as windows original notepad does.

Switching back to metapad ;(
http://www.liquidninja.com/metapad/
Sorry. I really like Win32pad.

Suggestions for 2.0:
-Find matching parenthesis and select range from '(' to ';)'. Of cause process nesting of parentheses.
-Advanced matching: match keywords - same as above but for pairs like 'IF' - 'END IF' etc. depending on current syntax. This should go along with syntax highlight.
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2002, 12:07:25 pm »

my favorite feature for the next version:

a horizontal split-bar

to view two sections of the same file.
Very helpful when coding...

Otherwise: Great program!
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2002, 08:57:01 am »

Thank you for this great product!

My wishlist:

- Char / Word  in Statusbar
like:
Col:5 L:6/8 Char:231 Word:50
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2002, 10:12:26 am »

Nice program. Missing three things:

1. Regular expression support on find/replace
2. Select a block of text and be able to sort it both ascending and descending
3. Add/remove/change toolbar buttons

Keep the good work,

Roberto
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2002, 07:56:16 am »

I like this program, small and nice. When is version 2.0 going to come? I realy like to see it!  :D

Regards,
Henrik
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2002, 10:47:13 am »

Quote (Guest @ Feb. 08 2002,17:21)
I have started doing some spring cleaning of Win32Pad source
code. I am currently reworking the code and restructuring it.
I am also thinking of adding a ton of new features and fixing
some old bugs. Some of the existing features will be analyzed
and rewritten. I am also thinking of redoing the menus structure and adding much awaited Options and About dialogs.
Please use this thread in order to suggest new features or submit bug reports.

Gena01

Win32pad is great. Small, fast, features. When asked for more features I want to mention dear old "NEW PAD" by Eugene...
It displays a print-preview with page-setup, but got stuck somewhat midway. May be, you would like to pick that up.
Small outprints cost lots of paper, if you can't see, what you get.
True, there are some editors out there with lots of features.
However, my basic need is to write and print selected parts swiftly.
Thanks for that software.
Hans
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2002, 01:25:41 pm »

I just wanna say, that you make a great product!
Keep it up!

P.S.
I see that everyone is making request for new options,
well I have one: an Always on top! function.

The only reason I sometimes use another editor is when I wanna have something on top to easely copy past between a .txt file and an application like MS Excel.
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: