[Gena01 Logo]
March 28, 2024, 07:45:55 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Tags Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Win32Whois 0.9.12  (Read 41349 times)
Gena01
Administrator

« on: November 09, 2006, 12:49:38 pm »

Please report issues, bug reports, ideas here.

Gena01
shuisman

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 07:18:39 am »

Hi,

First of all... Great program!

But the program doesn't work anymore, i think its has to do with of the (new) buildin firewall in the router.
Do you have suggestions, is there a special port that needs to be set open?

Hope to hear soon, thanks!
therube

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 01:03:01 pm »

Shouldn't have anything to do with your router.

If anything, I would think it is your software firewall that would be blocking it.
New version, different from older.  Firewall is seeing a different application, so blocks it.
garlic22

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 08:04:16 am »

With the latest version (0.9.12), it may not work unless RWHOIS is disabled from the Options menu.
After disabling that, it should work fine.
CAOgdin

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 02:10:02 pm »

My own domain is deepwoods.com.  Because I have a website inside the firewall, I have used a static assignment in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\HOSTS so my local browser will open the website for maintenance.  This is to circumvent a firewall restriction that prohibits internal requests for (local) external addresses.

That means my report from Win32Whois starts:
Name:      deepwoods.com
IP:      10.27.75.13
Domain:   deepwoods.com

Querying whois.crsnic.net for domain = deepwoods.com...

Note the non-routable internal address.

In fact, my external IP address for *.deepwoods.com is in a static range (which, no doubt, you can lookup   Wink )

Might I suggest, therefore, that you exclude local HOSTS file lookups from your DNS resolution of a domain name?  It's the same problem that every Dynamic DNS client faces; some are rather smart, and report the first routable address retrieved from an arbitrary trace-route to some friendly site (e.g., google.com).  That excludes all the 10.*, 172.16.* and 192.168.* IP address ranges from being equated to the domain name in your neat program.

If you think the existing feature needs to remain, you might want to make it an Option ("Bypass LAN").

Thanks for the wonderful program,

--Carol Anne
Tags:
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: